Hydroponics Blog
  Home
  Hydroponics
  Systems
  Environment
  Lighting
  Grow Mediums
  Nutrients
  Growth Enhancers
  Propagation
  Pest Control
  Gardening
  Smart Valve
  Smart Tray
  Articles
  Hydroponics Club
  Site Map
  More Resources
  Special Offers
  Plant
  Aeroponics
  Autopot
  Hesi
  Rockwool
  Chemical Safety
  Water Hardness
  Green Age
  Ionic
  Coco Coir Peat
  History
  Terms of Use
  Seeds
  Temperature
  Ozone
  What is pH
  H2O2
  Oxygen
  CO2
  Insect Attacks
  Drying
  UV Steriling
  Hormones
  Stresses
  Gardening
  Plant Energy
  Flowering
  Germination
  Root Callus
  Mould
  Disease Control
  Nutrient Deficiency
  Nutrient Toxicity
  Grow Room

AEROPONICS - THE ULTIMATE ROOT SUPPLY SYSTEM



Aeroponics is a misted root system of growing plants. The most important factor in plant growth is the size and health of the root system

The most important factor in root growth is the amount of Oxygen that is available for the roots to take up. Misting the roots provides the ultimate in root Oxygen supply.

In an aeroponic system the roots are continuously sprayed with an extremely fine mist of nutrient. This ensures that the roots are in an oxygen rich environment, with nutrient present at all times.

Because the nutrient is misted it is able to absorb about 20% Oxygen instead of the 1% it would absorb as a straight liquid nutrient mix.

Research done in holland in the early 1990s noted that plant roots absorbed only about 0.2% of their Oxygen out of the dissolved Oxygen in the nutrient. The remaining 99.8% came from the substrate that the plant was standing in. This is the essence of Aeroponics because the plant roots are in effect standing in air and just being misted to keep them moist.

One of the benefits of growing in this way is that the plants have a better dried weight to fresh weight ratio. Hydroponically grown plants have a very high fresh weight because of the water availability but when dried out they weigh almost the same as soil grown plants. The plants grown with misted roots should not develop a large bulk in water weight.

The art in Aeroponics is to maximise the air available and keep the water and nutrient to a minimum sufficient for the growth and wellbeing of the plant. This is achieved by judicious use of the on/off timing of the nutrient spray. A little experimenting with the adjustment of this control will pay dividends.

More information is available in a excellent article from Practical Hydroponics & Greenhouses Issue 5 entitled

Aeroponics by Steven Carruthers




WANT THE LATEST AEROPONICS NEWS?


Receive your free hydroponics-gardening-information-club membership. Become part of a community packed with great tips, offers and news from the world of hydroponics-gardening, delivered straight to your desktop.

To get started right now while this limited offer is still available just click Here and fill out our application.



Please contact us at:

Hydroponics Gardening Information
Rosedale
Moorland
Bridgwater
Somerset
TA7 0AX
United Kingdom


Telephone/Fax: (0044) 1278 691468
E-Mail Us.
Your Name:
First Name:
Surname:
City:
State:
Country:
Message:
Your E-mail Address:


Office Hours 9AM to 5PM GMT
Monday to Friday



Please feel free to ask us questions or to pass comment on our site. We will always try to answer your questions promptly, however please bear with us if your request is either very technical or requires a lot of explanation. Most of your questions should be answered either on our FAQ page or in one of the forums, so please try there first before using the e-mail facility.

As we are only a small team any very technical questions about equipment and or nutrients may take a little time to research, so please be patient.


Copyright 2004 - 2005 J.R.Haughton. All Rights Reserved.

URL.biz - where people find experts
Gardens


Web www.hydroponics-gardening-information.com


Back to Top of Page